May 23, 2011

Show Me A Sign

While attending a BBQ last fall, I met a dentist I knew of but had not met in individual. He sat next to me at one of the round tables supplied by our host. We produced the customary introductions. During our chitchat I asked where his office was situated. He gave me a physical address that was particularly familiar, as I had rented a mailbox across the street from where his office is located. I also rented movies from a movie rental franchise two companies from his office, in 1 direction. I opened my business enterprise accounts much less than a block away and frequented the gas station just two businesses from his office, in the other direction. Less than a block from his office is one more dental office, which I was nicely conscious. But I could not visualize the location of his office on that one block.


I was astonished to have not observed his office! I made a point to take a slight detour on my way residence to look for it. I had driven past his creating for over 2 years and still do! He has a lovely red brick building that could look highly inviting if a couple of changes were made to the exterior. The very first change I would recommend is signage!


I am sure he could see my surprise to not know where his office was located. 1 marketing notion that is vital for home business is signage. I feel of the quite a few cars passing his office that are as unaware as I was. I continue to look at medical offices, hospitals and pharmacies for the reason that of my years in pharmaceutical sales. Being a Dental Consultant, specializing in Orthodontics (they get their referrals from dentists), I deliberately seek out dental practices even when traveling.


Sadly, this dentist is missing out. I know his competition located less than half a block away, is getting more "drive-by" referrals than he. I drove past both offices over the weekend and the differences of each practice's exterior had been startling!


The visible dentist's exterior:




  • Well-manicured and landscaped yard with pretty colourful perennials.
  • Substantial colourful sign matched the building's exterior.
  • Bright and cheerfully inviting on an overcast winter day.
The invisible dentist's exterior:

  • Sparingly landscaped yard with no flowering plants or colourful shrubs.
  • No sign whatsoever.
  • Dark and gloomy and a turn-off on an overcast winter day.
Closing a case begins with the incoming call or walk-in to make the initial consultation and continues when a patient drives in your parking lot. If the exterior looks rundown and poorly maintained, it sends a negative message to the patient and/or financially responsible party. So frequently, the interior of such an office is not as up-to-date if the exterior is not nicely maintained. Studies have proven this translates to a lack of confidence the patient locations in the practitioner's abilities and they are unlikely to pursue treatment. With this data, I know it is not I becoming 'picky' or attempting to create home business. If you own a little enterprise where consumers are on the premises, it is suggested you "clean up your act" from the exterior to the interior! If you are under the impression advertising is a cost center, think once more. Marketing is a revenue center, but sufficient budget and time should be allocated to succeed. Your dollars can be tracked to establish the return on your investment. You will find out which elements are powerful or ineffective.


The invisible dentist must begin with signage and landscaping. He would pretty likely generate enough walk-in traffic from those no longer driving by to pay for this significantly necessary investment.


A word to the wise: Waste no time in the planning and implementation of a marketing and advertising strategy for your practice. Marketing consultants specializing in promoting dental practices are on the market to support if you do not know where to begin.


© Copyright 2007 - Avis Ward of , LLC

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...